Wednesday, February 6, 2013

A little bit of craziness!


Well, the past few weeks have been a little bit crazy!  I am now 34 weeks and 4 days pregnant.  Derek is over his head with homework and tests and running on overload.  About 2 weeks ago we came home from dinner and were sitting on the couch.  Derek's heart started racing out of nowhere and he couldn't get it to slow down.  He laid down, took deep breaths, and then we tried different valsalva maneuvers.  Valsalva maneuvers are different techniques you can do to slow down a heart rate.  Some of these include bearing down, holding your breath and then pushing it all out, and putting ice on a person's neck without them knowing.  Derek's heart raced for 3 hours, and he finally just decided to try and sleep it off.  The next morning he was completely exhausted from his heart racing for so long, he slept through 2 classes.  Finally Derek texted me and asked if I'd go to the Dr. with him so we could check out his heart.  I had to find someone to cover the rest of my shift, and got to Rexburg at about 1.  They did a CKG which looked good, (because his heart rate was normal at this point), his blood pressure was high, and when Derek laid down the Dr. heard a slight heart murmur.  He recommended that we do an echocardiogram to check out his heart murmur in greater detail to make sure that there is no hole or deformities in his heart.  It could be nothing, or it could be something.  It just stinks because we really can't afford to go get the test at this time.  Hopefully we will be able to soon.  Derek has been monitoring his sodium intake to lower his blood pressure, and he has been trying to exercise more.  He has also been trying to reduce stress... which really isn't happening.  He is taking his hardest classes this semester, we are having a baby about 3 weeks before finals, he's doing his internship on top of it, and he is trying to start on the process of applying for dental school and studying for the DAT.  Poor kid!  I know that he can do it, but he sure has a lot on his plate right now!  I will tell you that he hasn't had any more weird heart palpitations or long periods of racing since the Dr. visit.  Let's cross our fingers that the heart murmur is no big deal and that he can control his blood pressure through diet and exercise.

     On another note, I had my Dr. visit on Friday and the baby is still in breech position.  I have to go in for an ultrasound next week to see if he is has turned into  the head down position.  If he is still breech, I have to go in to the hospital at 39 weeks, the Drs will lube me up and try and get that baby into the head down position.  I have heard that sometimes this process can send you into labor.  If they still can't get the baby head down, then they will have to perform a C-section right there.  The Dr. wants us to do a C-section if this is the case because he doesn't want to risk the body coming out, and then the head getting stuck in me with the possibility of the umbilical cord getting wrapped around his neck.  Where this is my first baby he said that I  probably have a tighter cervix and it is too dangerous trying to do a vaginal birth.  So... there is a slight possibility that I could be having this baby in about 5 weeks... so crazy!!!  We are hoping that this baby will change positions on his own.  We are trying not to panic because we know that there is still 5 weeks for this little guy to get in position.  I really hope this is the case because I have heard horror stories of the recovery from C-sections.

  I am so grateful to a Dr. who is thorough.  I am confident in my Dr to help me along the way if there is any complications.  So far everything has been great, so let's hope it continues to go as such.  Derek and I are trying to stay positive, and we are confident that no matter what, all will be well.  Let's root for out little guy to get in position so we can have a normal delivery and avoid the C-section.  
33 Weeks (Sorry, this is the most current)


1 comment:

  1. All three of you are in my prayers!!!!!! Tell Derk I love him and little Derk to do a flip flop and get ready!!!! Love you all.

    ReplyDelete